||The Mohawk Institute was established
in 1831 and was managed as a residential school by the New England Company,
the agent of the Church of England in Canada. Agents of the New England
Company believed that removing Indian children to residential schoolsaway
from the influence of their families and communitieswas the most effective
means to educate them. The Reverends Nelles and Elliot (of the New England
Company) supervised the Mohawk Institute and the Mohawk Chapel and were
very influential in the operations of the Six Nations community.