adopted a lifestyle befitting a successful, Oxford-trained physician.
One major aspect of his Victorian persona was his interest in gathering
a large collection of natural and historical objects. During his travels
as Supreme Chief Ranger, Oronhyatekha amassed an enormous collection of
curios, artifacts and natural specimens. He assembled this cabinet
of curiosities in the Oronhyatekha Historical Rooms and Library,
situated in The Temple Building, Toronto. The collections were opened
to the public in September of 1902, and included over 800 pieces. Many
of the objects in the Oronhyatekha Historical Collection symbolized First
Nations sovereignty and international relationships. In 1911,
the collection was donated by the IOF to the Royal Ontario Museum. Unfortunately,
it was dispersed into departmental collections according to region of
origin, thus obscuring its most compelling aspect -- what it tells us
about the man who collected it.